Sunday, November 7, 2010

Assignment 6-1


Gobble Gobble...
          
            So when I was asked to sit down and write a paper on my favorite thing, I really had to think this one out. I have so many favorite TV shows, and favorite songs, and musicians, and artists, and well let's just say I am slightly indecisive when it comes to my "favorite" thing. I thought about what's the most important thing in my life and that is my family. I was the first and only to move out of my hometown and my boyfriend and I are always making frequent trips throughout the year but it still feels like I am somewhat distant from all of them. So I decided that I wanted to host this years Thanksgiving dinner with just my immediate family and my brother in laws. This year will be my first year hosting Thanksgiving in my home and this got me thinking about our assignment on stereotypes. I realized that most of anything has some sort of stereotype but I could really breakdown this classic ritual of an American holiday.
            Every year, other than this one, my entire family would gather at my grandparent’s house and celebrate thanksgiving together. Now for us, that meant sitting and talking small talk with my aunts and uncles, who we haven't seen since the last Thanksgiving. My grandmother, mother and aunts would be in the kitchen helping to set up the row of covered potluck dishes and putting the finishing touches on the massive turkey that would ordain the table. They would set my grandparents huge dining table with her nicest dinner set and silverware, the crisp linen napkins and a few of my grandmother’s salt and pepper shakers that she collected. The candles would wait to be lit until just before the moment the men, and the children were called in to eat. My grandfather, father, and uncles on the other hand would be lounging in the family room watching a football game and talking about work and hunting season. As children and even young adults it seemed we were banned from the hot overfilled kitchen and sent to "hang out" with our cousins in the den.
            This is a classic stereotype that I think a lot of people can relate too. However, this year in my home I know this stereotype will be broken, for the most part anyway! My boyfriend is fantastic in the kitchen and helps with almost every meal. I know he won't be shy to step into the kitchen and start helping with whatever I ask. My father and brother in-laws on the other hand, will be riding out with the fans of their beloved football teams on our couch. The only involvement that my grandfather contributed was the carving of the turkey.
            Spending time with family is of utmost importance to me and generally when I think of an American Thanksgiving, I think big families sitting around a dining table enjoying a large golden turkey, with all the classic sides and desserts. This is yet another stereotype. For instance, the family that I nanny for is Jewish, and they celebrate many different holidays that non-Jewish people do. They acknowledge this non-traditional holiday but celebrate in a much different way than I do. This family has a meal but not with the traditional classics. They also don't gather with outside family and they keep it simple and have a few friends over for dessert.
            I remember quite some time ago when I was younger that my mother was very sick on Thanksgiving and my family decided not to make the travel to my grandparent’s house. My dad ended up taking us to eat at the Chinese restaurant in our town. I remember being shocked at how many people were eating at the Chinese restaurant on Thanksgiving. Maybe I was confused and thought they all had sick parents or family members but I really didn't get why they were all there. As I got older Thanksgiving almost seemed like a tradition that I was starting to dread. I don't like small talk and acting as if my cousins and I really cared for each other. It sounds kind of sad, but it's true I was getting sick of Thanksgiving.
            So this year when I suggested the idea to my family they all had really different responses, it wasn't like I was asking them for something serious, just dinner right? Well here were the reactions: my mother was somewhat relieved that she wouldn't be doing all the work. My father could care less as long as I had the correct channels for him to watch. My sisters were the toughest to break because they were still caught up on the tradition of the big family get together. In the end I got my way and I have big plans on continuing out the stereotypical tradition of Thanksgiving! I have a few recipes floating around in my kitchen that I have been working on and have my table setting idea in mind. This is my first year and I hope to make it a yearly tradition. This is going to sound mean but none of my sisters, nor I, have children yet and I really don't want to make them sit through a boring and stuffy dinner at my grandparents in the future. So I plan on making it the best it can possibly be and showing my family that new things can and have to happen, as families get older. So now I ask, what are you're plans for this holiday season? 

No comments:

Post a Comment