Friday, October 22, 2010

Journal Analysis Assignment 1-3

Journal AnalysisTwilight and Philosophy: Vampires, Vegetarians, and the Pursuit of Immortality. Eds. Rebecca Housel and J. Jeremy Wisnewski. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2009.




            Twilight and Philosophy: Vampires, Vegetarians, and the Pursuit of Immortality, this interesting journal with a great title sucked me in the moment I saw it (no pun intended). I myself have never been the biggest fan of the Vampire epidemic, so to speak. I will sit through the movies and yes I have read the Twilight series, but really wasn’t sold on the idea of a plain Jane girl falling in love with a beautiful vampire who eats bunnies for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Not my exact idea of romance.
            Aside from my opinion on the vampire craze it is hard to not notice why some would like the new age vampire books, movies and television shows. They all feature handsome looking men with charming personalities who capture the love of young, naïve and somewhat insecure women. You want their love to work out and we keep reading and watching to see if true love will prevail!
            The book Twilight and Philosophy is a deeper look into the characters of the gothic novels and is a collection of writings from philosophers and even a high school student.  In the article it talks about the movie Dracula being taught in literature and film classes. Dracula was made in the late 1800’s when society wasn’t so lax. I have actually heard of courses such as the title of this book being offered at colleges and universities.  Sounds like a fan club with a pricy admission fee to me!
           
           



No comments:

Post a Comment